I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When We Are Brought Low--Oct. 1, 2015


Holy God, we would like to serve you
by making wonderful prophesies
or by casting out demons
and doing deeds
of power.

But sometimes
what we need to do is
to forgo what is rightly ours
and in silence endure the loss of  
anything that would put an obstacle
in the way of the Gospel of Christ.

In so doing we may learn this:
that you protect the simple,
and even that it is when
we are brought low
that you save us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 116; 147:12-20; 26; 130
2 Kings 18:28-37
1 Cor. 9:1-15
Matt. 7:22-29

Selected Verses
Ps. 116:6
The LORD protects the simple;
          when I was brought low, he saved me. 

2 Kings 18:36
But the people were silent and answered him not a word, for the king’s command was, “Do not answer [Rabshakeh].” 

1 Cor. 9:12b
Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.

Matt. 7:22
“On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?’  …"  [Jesus to the crowds on the mountain]

No comments:

Post a Comment