I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Overloaded Carts--Nov. 30, 2015

[From Nov. 28, 2011 archive] 

Pressed down, overloaded carts,
our wheels stuck in ruts,
our lives in turmoil,
we ask who you are.

You are our help
and our deliverer,
do not delay, O God.

Fill us with your grace and peace
and the knowledge of you
and of Jesus our Lord.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 145; 40; 67
Amos 2:6-16
2 Peter 1:1-11
Matt. 21:1-11

Selected Verses
Ps. 40:17b
You are my help and my deliverer;
          do not delay, O my God.

Amos 2:13
So, I will press you down in your place,
            just as a cart presses down
            when it is full of sheaves.

2 Peter 1:2
May grace and peace be yours in abundance in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Matt. 21:1-11
When [Jesus] entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in turmoil, asking, "Who is this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment