I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Scripture Hard to Accept--Nov. 18, 2015

[From Nov. 20, 2013 archive]

To me some verses of scripture are hard to accept:
banishing the foreign wives does not seem
consistent with your compassion;
the vision of heavenly Jerusalem
is extravagant far beyond my imagination;
and paying a tax with a coin from a fish's mouth??

But God, what can be more difficult to accept than
this--when deeds of iniquity overwhelm us,
you forgive our transgressions!

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 65; 147:1-11; 125; 91
Ezra 10:1-17
Rev. 21:9-21
Matt. 17:22-27

Selected Verses
Ps. 65:3
When deeds of iniquity overwhelm us,
          you forgive our transgressions.

Ezra 10:11
"…Now make confession to the LORD the God of your ancestors, and do his will; separate yourselves from the peoples of the land and from the foreign wives."  [Ezra to the assembled people of Judah and Benjamin]

Rev. 21:18
The wall is built of jasper, while the city [of the heavenly Jerusalem] is pure gold, clear as glass.

Matt. 17:27
"…However, so that we do not give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook; take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a coin; take that and give it to them for you and me."  [Jesus to Peter]

No comments:

Post a Comment