I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God, My Strength--Dec. 3, 2015


Lo, you are the one
who forms the mountains,
creates the wind,
reveals your thoughts to mortals,
makes the morning darkness,
and treads on the heights of the earth--
I love you, O God, my strength!

Teach me to grow
in the grace and knowledge
of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior,
that I may be one of your people,
producing the fruits of your kingdom.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 18:1-20; 147:12-20; 126; 62
Amos 4:6-13
2 Peter 3:11-18
Matt. 21:33-46

Selected Verses
Ps. 18:1
I love you, O LORD, my strength.

Amos 4:13
For lo, the one who forms the mountains, creates the wind,
        reveals his thoughts to mortals,
makes the morning darkness,
        and treads on the heights of the earth--
        the LORD, the God of hosts, is his name!

2 Peter 3:18a
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Matt. 21:43
"…Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom.  …"  [Jesus, to the chief priests and Pharisees]

No comments:

Post a Comment