I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Neither Leftover Bread nor Leftover People--Jan. 29, 2016


Lord Jesus, you want nothing to be lost--
neither leftover bread fragments 
nor leftover people. 

If an old woman
and an old man could with
God's blessing give rise to nations,
then let old and young together,
let men and women alike, all
praising your holy name,
all in full assurance of
faith and with true
heart, come
to you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20
Gen. 17:15-27
Heb. 10:11-25
John 6:1-15

Selected Verses
Ps. 148:12-13a
Young men and women alike,
          old and young together!
Let them praise the name of the Lord…

Gen. 17:15-16
God said to Abraham, "As for Sarah your wife, you shall not call her Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.  I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall give rise to nations; kings of peoples shall come from her." 

Heb. 10:22
…let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.   

John 6:12
When [the five thousand people] were satisfied, [Jesus] told his disciples, "Gather up the fragments left over, so that nothing may be lost." 

No comments:

Post a Comment