I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

In You We Are Happy, Jesus--Feb. 14, 2016


 Lord Jesus, we have sinned and done wrong,
we have acted wickedly and rebelled,
and we have turned aside from
your commandments.

Be with us, Lord Jesus--
through you we see our God,
through your testing and suffering
you are able to help us with our own,
through you our transgressions are forgiven
and our sin is covered.  In you we are happy, Jesus.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 150; 42; 32
Dan. 9:3-10
Heb. 2:10-18
John 12:44-50

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:1
Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,
          whose sin is covered. 

Dan. 9:5
"…we have sinned and done wrong, acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and ordinances.  …"  [Daniel's prayer]

Heb. 2:18
Because [Jesus] himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

John 12:45
"…And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.  …"  [Jesus, crying out aloud]

No comments:

Post a Comment