I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

We Desire a Better Country, a Heavenly One--Feb. 2, 2016


Lord Jesus, you are the living bread,
and for the life of the world
you gave your flesh;
we trust in you--
not in worldly leaders,
nor in any mortals, for they die;
when their breath departs, they return
to earth, and on that day their plans perish.

We do not want to look on death,
certainly not the death of a child,
nor on our own, truth be told;
we desire a better country,
a heavenly one,
with you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7
Gen. 21:1-21
Heb. 11:13-22
John 6:41-51

Selected Verses
Ps. 146:3-4
Do not put your trust in princes,
          in mortals, in whom there is no help.
When their breath departs, they return to the earth;
          on that very day their plans perish.

Gen. 21:16
Then [Hagar] went and sat down opposite [her son] a good way off, about the distance of a bowshot; for she said, "Do not let me look on the death of the child."  And as she sat opposite him, she lifted up her voice and wept. 

Heb. 11:16
But as it is, [these who die in faith] desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. 

John 6:51
"…I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."  [Jesus to those who complained about him]

No comments:

Post a Comment