I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Plan for the Fullness of Time--May 4, 2016


Blessed are you, Lord Jesus;
you come in the name of the LORD.
Son of God and Son of David,
you come in the name of the LORD,
a plan for the fullness of time—
come to gather up all things in yourself.
Humble our hearts, that we may
make amends for our many iniquities
and by your grace serve as
your covenant people.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 99; 147:1-11; 9; 118
Lev. 26:27-42
Eph. 1:1-10
Matt. 22:41-46
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 118:26
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD.
          We bless you from the house of the LORD. 

Lev. 26:41b-42
…if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, then will I remember my covenant with Jacob; I will remember also my covenant with Isaac and also my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land.  [The LORD, through Moses, speaking to Israel about those who will survive his punishments]

Eph. 1:9-10
[God] has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ, as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Matt. 22:43-45
[Jesus] said to [the Pharisees], “How is it then that David by the Spirit calls [the Messiah] Lord, saying, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet’”?  If David thus calls him Lord, how can he be his son?”

No comments:

Post a Comment