I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God’s Abundance--Aug. 2, 2016

[From Aug. 8, 2006 archive]

You let us feast on your abundance
and give us drink from the river of your delights;
but you do not require abundance in order to be effective,
nor do we need to amass power or authority to do your work.

A handful of troops was sufficient for Gideon’s task;
John baptized without the expected credentials;
Peter healed though he lacked silver and gold.
Your steadfast love is more than enough.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7
Judg. 7:1-18
Acts 3:1-11
John 1:19-28
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 36:7-8
How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
            All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house,
            and you give them drink from the river of your delights.

Judg. 7:2
The LORD said to Gideon, “The troops with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand.  Israel would only take the credit away from me, saying, ‘My own hand has delivered me.’   

Acts 3:6
But Peter said, “I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.”

John 1:25
[The priest and Levites sent by the Pharisees] asked [John the Baptist], “Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?”

No comments:

Post a Comment