I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Humble in God's New Creation--Feb. 6, 2017


God Most Holy, high and lofty,
you dwell in the high and holy place;
you also dwell with those who are contrite--
who are humble in spirit--reviving their hearts.

The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
may we never boast of anything, except
the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Teach us to be last, not first,
except in serving you.
And revive our hearts 
to be part of your new creation.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 145; 82; 29
Isa. 57:14-21
Gal. 6:11-18
Mark 9:30-41

Selected Verses
Ps. 5:5
The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
          you hate all evildoers. 

Isa. 57:15
For thus says the high and lofty one
          who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
I dwell in the high and holy place,
          and also with those who are contrite and humble in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the humble,
          and to revive the heart of the contrite. 

Gal. 6:14-15
May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.  For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything!

Mark 9:34-35
But [the disciples] were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest.   [Jesus] sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment