I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Not Much to Boast About--March 5, 2017

[From March 13, 2011]

I have not much to boast about.
All the wisdom I gain from
the world, you render foolish.

The wealth I have received, I should share;
the power I have been given, I should
employ to support the oppressed.

Not much to boast about,
but much to rejoice over.

O God, let me shout for
joy and be glad in you;

let me be a new wineskin
to receive your new wine,

you who delight in steadfast
love, justice, and righteousness.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 150; 42; 32
Jer. 9:23-24
1 Cor. 1:18-31
Mark 2:18-22

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:11
Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous,
            and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

Jer. 9:23-24
Thus says the LORD: Do not let the wise boast in their wisdom, do not let the mighty boast in their might, do not let the wealthy boast in their wealth; but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the LORD; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the LORD.

1 Cor. 1:20
Where is the one who is wise?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Mark 2:22
“…And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost, and so are the skins; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.”  [Jesus to those who asked why his disciples did not fast]

No comments:

Post a Comment