I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Heart Undivided, Not Hardened--June 27, 2017


Give me an undivided heart, O God,
that I may walk in your truth
and revere your name. 

When I harden my heart,
I make a fool of myself and
 find myself fighting against you;
help me attend to your word,
as Peter and John did
to Jesus'.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
1 Sam. 6:1-16
Acts 5:27-42
Luke 21:37-22:13

Selected Verses
Ps. 86:11
Teach me your way, O LORD,
          that I may walk in your truth;
          give me an undivided heart to revere your name. 

1 Sam. 6:6
"…Why should you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts?  After [the God of Israel] had made fools of them, did [the Egyptians and Pharoah] not let the people go, and they departed?  …"  [Advice to the Philistines from their priests and diviners]

Acts 5:38-39
"…So in the present case, I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone; because if this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them--in that case you may even be found fighting against God!”  [Gamaliel to the council]

Luke 22:10-11
"Listen," [Jesus] said to [Peter and John], "when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him into the house he enters and say to the owner of the house, 'The teacher asks you, "Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?'"  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment