I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

More than Enough of Contempt--July 25, 2017

Have mercy upon me, O God, have mercy,
for all the times I have  held in contempt
those less privileged than I have been--
women who ask for assistance,
men who beg for food.

Our minds are poisoned against the poor,
but some day, O Lord Jesus, your light
will shine and nothing will be hidden,
including the contemptuous things
we ourselves have committed.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
1 Sam. 25:1-22
Acts 14:1-18
Mark 4:21-34

Selected Verses
Ps. 123:3
 Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us,
          for we have had more than enough of contempt. 

1 Sam. 25:10-11
But Nabal answered David's servants, "Who is David?  Who is the son of Jesse?  There are many servants today who are breaking away from their masters.  Shall I take my bread and my water and the meat that I have butchered for my shearers, and give it to men who come from I do not know where?

Acts 14:2
But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers. 

Mark 4:21-22
[Jesus] said to them, "Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or under the bed, and not on the lampstand?  For there is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed; nor is anything secret, except to come to light.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment