I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

My Stubborn Heart--Aug. 20, 2017


I find I like to do things on my own, O Jesus;
it is hard for me to seek your will and do it,
and I am disappointed when others do not
follow my advice--that hurts my ego.

Forgive my stubborn heart and my desire
to have others adhere to my counsel.
Give me the Spirit through faith,
that I may ever seek your will  
and walk in your ways.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
2 Sam. 17:1-23
Gal. 3:6-14
John 5:30-47

Selected Verses
Ps. 81:12-13
So I gave [my people] over to their stubborn hearts,
          to follow their own counsels.
O that my people would listen to me,
          that Israel would walk in my ways! 

2 Sam. 17:23
When Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his donkey and went off home to his own city.  He set his house in order, and hanged himself; he died and was buried in the tomb of his father.

Gal. 3:14
…in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

John 5:30
"I can do nothing on my own.  As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.  …" [Jesus to his critics in the temple]

No comments:

Post a Comment