I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When a Nathan Confronts Me--Aug. 11, 2017

[From Aug. 7, 2009 archive]

Lord, help me learn to deal with differences of opinion.

Those who try to do your will always meet anger and
resistance when they threaten the self-interest of the powerful.

The self-righteous are alarmed when confronted with your
righteousness; we can anticipate controversy when we follow you.

But remind me that I too become full of self-righteousness
and self-interest.  Teach me the way that I should choose.

And open my ears when you send a Nathan to confront me.

Lectionary Readings
Psalms 84, 148, 25, 40
2 Samuel 12:1-14
Acts 19:21-41
Mark 9:14-29

Selected Verses
Psalm 25:12
Who are they that fear the LORD?
            He will teach them the way that they should choose.

2 Samuel 12:1a
But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD, and the LORD sent Nathan to David.

Acts 19:27
“…And there is danger not only that this trade of ours may come into disrepute but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be scorned, and she will be deprived of her majesty that brought all Asia and the world to worship her.”  [Demetrius to the Ephesian artisans and workers in silver]

Mark 9:14
When [Jesus, Peter, James, and John] came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd around them, and some scribes arguing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment