I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Cloud no Bigger than a Hand--Sept. 16, 2017

[From Sept. 12, 2015 archive]

Sovereign Lord,

Sometimes great events are heralded by dramatic signs,
like the heavens ripping open; at other times by
a little cloud, no bigger than a hand.
Whatever the sign, make us alert
to your presence in it;
whatever the event,
may we rejoice in you
and with a whole heart
give you thanks.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98
1 Kings 18:41-19:8
Phil. 3:17-4:7
Matt. 3:13-17

Selected Verses
Ps. 138:1a
I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart…

1 Kings 18:44
At the seventh time [Elijah's servant] said, "Look, a little cloud no bigger than a person’s hand is rising out of the sea." Then [Elijah] said, "Go say to Ahab, 'Harness your chariot and go down before the rain stops you.'"

Phil. 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.

Matt. 3:16
And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment