I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Must Foreign Wives Be Sent Away?--Nov. 12, 2017


O God of our ancestors, and my God,
when I read your commandment to love,
my heart rejoices; it is right and it is clear;
it enlightens my eyes. 

The parable of the great dinner leads me
to see you opening your arms in welcome
to all who will accept your invitation.

Paul claims to believe all that
is laid down in the law or written
by the prophets; I cannot believe he  
intended to include hard-hearted
teachings contrary to your love
as exemplified by Jesus.

Thus I cannot reconcile with your love
an order to send away from their husbands
 all the "foreign" wives of the land and
their children.  How could this be
according to the law of love?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
Ezra 10:1-17
Acts 24:10-21
Luke 14:12-24

Selected Verses
Ps. 19:8
…the precepts of the LORD are right,
          rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is clear,
          enlightening the eyes…

Ezra 10:3
"…So now let us make a covenant with our God to send away all these wives and their children, according to the counsel of my lord and of those who tremble at the commandment of our God; and let it be done according to the law.  …"  [Shecaniah to Ezra]

Acts 24:14
"…But this I admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors, believing everything laid down according to the law or written in the prophets.  …"  [Paul speaking in his defense to the governor]

Luke 14:22
"…And the slave said, 'Sir, what you ordered has been done, and there is still room.'  Then the master said to the slave, 'Go out into the roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled.  …'"  [Jesus in reply to his fellow guest at dinner]

No comments:

Post a Comment