I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Peace of Jerusalem--Dec. 11, 2017


Mighty God, you are the Alpha and the Omega,
who is, and who was, and who is to come.
We must not underestimate your power,
but Lord, it is long since Jerusalem
was a city bound firmly together.
I pray for it's peace and security,
yet will it not be laid waste again--
will not the whole region be destroyed--
unless all the peoples modify their positions?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 145; 40; 67
Amos 7:1-9
Rev. 1:1-8
Matt. 22:23-33

Selected Verses
Ps. 122:3, 6-7
Jerusalem—built as a city 
          that is bound firmly together.  …
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
          "May they prosper who love you. 

Peace be within your walls,
          and security within your towers." 

Amos 7:9
"…the high places of Isaac shall be made desolate,
        and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste,
        and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam with the sword."
[The LORD, speaking through Amos]

Rev. 1:1
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

Matt. 22:29
Jesus answered [the Sadducees], "You are wrong, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment