I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

As a Deer Longs for Flowing Streams--Jan. 9, 2018


In the wilderness, I cry out.
My soul longs for you, O God,
as a deer longs for flowing streams.
I have wanted to be wise, as you are wise,
but you have opened my eyes--you
have shown me I am naked.

My way has been crooked;
make it straight. How can I escape
if I neglect so great a salvation
as comes from you?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 42; 146; 102; 133
Gen. 3:1-24
Heb. 2:1-10
John 1:19-28

Selected Verses
Ps. 42:1
As a deer longs for flowing streams,
          so my soul longs for you, O God. 

Gen. 3:6-7
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves.

Heb. 2:2-3a
For if the message declared through angels was valid, and every transgression or disobedience received a just penalty, how can we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?

John 1:23
[John] said, "I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way of the Lord'", as the prophet Isaiah said.

No comments:

Post a Comment