I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

May Your Peace Be with Us, O God--Feb. 16, 2018



In you our ancestors trusted, O God, and you delivered them.
We have learned and received and heard your teachings;
cast away from us all our transgressions, that we
may turn from them and live in your joy,
and may your peace be with us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 22; 148; 105; 130
Ezek. 18:1-4, 25-32
Phil. 4:1-9
John 17:9-19

Selected Verses
Ps. 22:4
 In you our ancestors trusted;
          they trusted, and you delivered them.

Ezek. 18:31-32
Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit!  Why will you die, O house of Israel?  For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord GOD.  Turn, then, and live.

Phil. 4:9
Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

John 17:13
"…But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves.  …"  [Jesus, praying for his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment