I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

In Love, Destroy My Enemies?--March 17, 2018


Holy God,
You are who you are.
You know me fully,
better than I know myself,
and only in small part do I know you.
However, I believe in your steadfast love,
and in love you have called us to serve,
so though we may ask for your pity,
and also for your help, never
can I ask you to destroy
all my enemies.
How would that
be serving in love?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 43; 149; 31; 143
Exod. 2:23-3:15
1 Cor. 13:1-13
Mark 9:14-29

Selected Verses
Ps. 43:12
In your steadfast love cut off my enemies,
          and destroy all my adversaries,
          for I am your servant.

Exod. 3:14a
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." 

1 Cor. 13:7, 12b
[Love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  … Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 

Mark 9:22
"… [The spirit] has often cast [my son] into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us." [The boy's father, to Jesus]

No comments:

Post a Comment