I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

From Works of Evil, Deliver Us--Feb. 24, 2019

[From Feb. 20, 2011 archive]

Lord Jesus, you are the Good Shepherd;
you know your own; your own know you.

And Jesus, you are our strong deliverer,
revealed to us to destroy the works of evil.

Deliver us from evil works that reside in us,
and let your way be known upon the earth.

Lectionary Readings 
Ps. 67; 150; 46; 93
Isa. 66:7-14
1 John 3:4-10
John 10:7-16

Selected Verses 
Ps. 67:2
…that your way may be known upon earth,
            your saving power among all nations.

Isa. 66:9
 Shall I open the womb and not deliver?
            says the Lord;
shall I, the one who delivers, shut the womb?
            says your God.

1 John 3:8b
The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

John 10:14
“…I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me  …” [Jesus to the Pharisees]

No comments:

Post a Comment