I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Content to Know God's Name--May 20, 2020


Gracious God,
humble my heart,
make me content to live
with the mystery of your will,
according to your good pleasure.

Perhaps in the fullness of time
we will have answers to our questions;
until then it is enough to know your name.

Yes, let me be content to know your name
and trust that you do not forsake
those who seek you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 99; 147:1-11; 9; 118
Lev. 26:27-42
Eph. 1:1-10
Matt. 22:41-46

Selected Verses
Ps. 9:10
And those who know your name put their trust in you,
          for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

Lev. 26:41b-42
…if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, then will I remember my covenant with Jacob; I will remember also my covenant with Isaac and also my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land.

Eph. 1:9-10
[…God the Father] has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ, as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

Matt. 22:46
No one was able to give [Jesus] an answer, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment