I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Jesus Christ, Our Portion Forever--Sept. 28, 2020

 

Our Lord Jesus Christ, whom do we have but you?

Everything around us calls us to forget you, 

but though we may go away from you, 

you do not go away from us.

 

Although heart and flesh may fail, 

the message of your grace builds us up;

you are the strength of our hearts

and our portion forever.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 62; 145; 73; 9

Hosea 2:2-15

Acts 20:17-38

Luke 5:1-11

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 73:25-26

Whom have I in heaven but you?
          And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
          but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

 

Hosea 2:13

I will punish [your mother, i.e., Israel] for the festival days of the Baals, when she offered incense to them and decked herself with her ring and jewelry, and went after her lovers, and forgot me, says the LORD.

 

Acts 20:13

And now I commend you to God and to the message of his grace, a message that is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all who are sanctified. 

 

Luke 5:8

But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!” 


No comments:

Post a Comment