I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Through Jesus, Trust--Sept. 19, 2020


 

God, I praise your word, for I trust in you. 

You are the source of life and breath;

I trust in you; I am not afraid.

 

Those with power over us are able to give

and to take away our earthly things, 

but my ultimate trust is in you.

 

I trust in you because through Jesus 

I know you; I know you and 

trust you through him.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 56; 149; 118; 111

Esth. 2:5-8, 15-23

Acts 17:16-34

John 12:44-50

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 56:4

In God, whose word I praise,
          in God I trust; I am not afraid;
          what can flesh do to me?

 

Esth. 2:18

Then the king gave a great banquet to all his officials and ministers— “Esther’s banquet.”  He also granted a holiday to the provinces, and gave gifts with royal liberality.

 

Acts 17:25

“…nor is [God] served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mortals life and breath and all things.  …”  [Paul, to the Athenians] 

 

John 12:45

“…And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.  …”  [Jesus, crying aloud to summarize his teaching]


No comments:

Post a Comment