I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Unbind Me, Let Me Go--Feb. 22, 2022

[From Feb. 25, 2014 archive]

 

Save me, Jesus, and put away from me 

all crooked speech, all devious talk. 

Save me, vindicate me by your might; 

let me abide in love, that I may abide in God 

and that God may abide in me. 

Unbind me, let me go.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 54; 146; 28; 99

Prov.  4:1-27

1 John 4:7-21

John 11:30-44

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 54:1 

Save me, O God, by your name, 
          and vindicate me by your might. 

 

Prov. 4:24 

Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you. 

 

1 John 4:16b 

God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them. 

 

John 11:44b 

Jesus said to [the crowd], “Unbind him, and let him go.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment