I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

For Compassion--June 7, 2022

[From June 12, 2018 archive]

 

Lord Jesus, you had compassion for the hungry crowd;

surely you are disturbed over the plight of the poor

who are despoiled, over the needy who groan.

 

Many were persecuted in your day;

many are persecuted now.

Place them in the safety

for which they long.

 

As for us, the fortunate,

who find nothing better than

to eat, drink, and enjoy our lives—

fill us with your compassion for the hungry.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7

Eccl. 8:14-9:10

Gal. 4:21-31

Matt. 15:29-39

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 12:5

“Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan, 
          I will now rise up,” says the LORD; 
        “I will place them in the safety for which they long."

 

Eccl. 8:15

So I commend enjoyment, for there is nothing better for people under the sun than to eat, and drink, and enjoy themselves, for this will go with them in their toil through the days of life that God gives them under the sun.

 

Gal. 4:29

But just as at that time the child who was born according to the flesh persecuted the child who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.

 

Matt. 15:32

Then Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I have compassion for the crowd, because they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.”


No comments:

Post a Comment