I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

To the End of the Earth, Wars?--June 26, 2022

[From June 28, 2020 archive]

 

Amorites laid waste to Moabites

with fire until all of them perished;

then the Israelites killed the Amorites

(and the Bashanites for good measure).

 

O God of our Lord Jesus Christ,

 

have we learned nothing since then?

Do we still not know who you are, 

or how to be still before you,

or of your power to heal?

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 67; 150; 46; 93

Numb. 21:4-9, 21-35

Acts 17:12-21, 17:23-24

Luke 13:10-17

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 46:9-10

[The LORD] makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
          he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
          he burns the shields with fire.
“Be still, and know that I am God!
          I am exalted among the nations,
          I am exalted in the earth.”

 

Num 21:29-30

“…Woe to you, O Moab!  You are undone, O people of Chemosh!  He has made his sons fugitives, and his daughters captives, to an Amorite king, Sihon.  So their posterity perished from Heshbon to Dibon, and we laid waste until fire spread to Medeba.  …”  [Amorite ballad singers]

 

Acts 17:23

“…For as I went through the city and looked carefully at the objects of your worship, I found among them an altar with the inscription, ‘To an unknown god.’  What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you.  …”  [Paul, to the Athenians]

 

Luke 13:13

When [Jesus] laid his hands on [the woman crippled for 18 years], immediately she stood up straight and began praising God.


No comments:

Post a Comment