I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Sifting Out My Questions--Aug. 2, 2022

[From Aug. 4, 2020 archive]

 

Who am I?

Who recognizes me?

What do I say about myself?

 

Do I make great boasts?

Are my lips my own?

Who is my master?

 

Lord, if you are my Master, 

all the other questions

are answered.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 12; 146; 36; 7

Judg. 7:1-18

Acts 3:1-11

John 1:19-28

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 12:3-4

May the LORD cut off all flattering lips,
          the tongue that makes great boasts,
those who say, “With our tongues we will prevail;
          our lips are our own — who is our master?”

 

Judg. 7:3b

Thus Gideon sifted [the troops] out; twenty-two thousand returned, and ten thousand remained.

 

Acts 3:9-10

All the people saw [the man lame from birth] walking and praising God, and they recognized him as the one who used to sit and ask for alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

 

John 1:22

Then [the priests and Levites] said to [John], “Who are you?  Let us have an answer for those who sent us.  What do you say about yourself?” 


No comments:

Post a Comment