I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

We Do Not Wait in Vain--Aug. 18, 2022

Friends, 

Since 2005 I have tried to post every day on this blog.   If something unexpected caused me to miss a day or two, I would do my best to post even if late, and if I knew I was going to be away from my computer, I posted in advance with a setting that would cause the posting to take place “on time.”  I am sorry that I will need to deviate from this routine.

On August 18, 2022, I am scheduled to have a hip replacement, necessary because last May’s insertion of three screws to repair a fracture in the femoral neck failed to do the job.  I do not know when I will feel able to restart my postings, nor do I have time to post in advance, but I suspect that a week or more may elapse.  Meanwhile I will be grateful for your prayers and for your patience.  [Perhaps it is appropriate that my post for today is about waiting.  It is from the archive for Aug. 20, 2020.]

 

It is dark.

We are waiting.

We are waiting for you.

 

We are not waiting for bad news;

too much bad news has come already. 

 

We wait for someone to sit beside us,

to comfort us, to help us understand.

 

O loving God, may we be strong, 

may our hearts take courage.

 

When we wait for you,

we do not wait

in vain.

 

Lectionary Readings                                                          

Ps. 36; 147:12-20; 80; 27

Job 1:1-22 

Acts 8:26-40

John 6:16-27

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 27:14

Wait for the LORD;
          be strong, and let your heart take courage;
          wait for the LORD!

 

Job 1:19

“…and suddenly a great wind came across the desert, struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; I alone have escaped to tell you.”  [A messenger, to Job]

 

Acts 8:30-31

So Philip ran up to [the chariot] and heard [an Ethiopian court official] reading the prophet Isaiah.  He asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?”  He replied, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”  And he invited Philip to get in and sit beside him. 

 

John 6:16b

It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to [his disciples]. 


No comments:

Post a Comment