I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

February 18, 2010

The Destitute

I. Readings
Psalms 27, 147:12-20, 126, 102
Habakkuk 3:1-18
Philippians 3:12-21
John 17:1-8

II. Selections
Psalm 102:17
[The LORD] will regard the prayer of the destitute,
      and will not despise their prayer.

Habakkuk 3:17-18
Though the fig tree does not blossom,
      and no fruit is on the vines;
though the produce of the olive fails
      and the fields yield no food;
though the flock is cut off from the fold
      and there is no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
      I will exult in the God of my salvation.

Philippians 3:20
But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 17:4
“…I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. … ” [Jesus prays for his disciples]

III. Meditation

Our citizenship is in heaven;
but while we are on earth, you
have called us to glorify you here.

We glorify you as our Savior did, by doing
the work you have given us to do. Surely
part of that work is care for the destitute.

For you do not despise the prayer
of the destitute; and we know that
we, too, must have regard for them.

And even if all the abundance should vanish
from our lives, so that we ourselves become
destitute, still give us grace to exult in your
name—for you are the God of our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment