I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Gift to Satisfy My Thirst--Sept. 1, 2012



I seek you, O God, for you are my God;
in a dry and weary land my soul thirsts for you.

You have fashioned me like clay,
you will turn me back to dust;
who am I to hinder you?

I do not know where you have come from,
I do not know where you are going;
not even where I came from,
nor even where I go.

But I know I thirst for you,
in this dry land will go with you--
for in Christ you give the Spirit
to satisfy my thirst.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63
Job 9:1, 10:1-9, 16-22
Acts 11:1-18
John 8:12-20

Selected Verses

Ps. 63:1
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
      my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
      as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Job 10:9
"…Remember that you fashioned me like clay; and will you turn me to dust again?" [Job to God]

Acts 11:17

"…If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?" [Peter to the circumcised believers in Jerusalem]

John 8:14

Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. …" [Jesus to the Pharisees, in the temple treasury]

No comments:

Post a Comment