I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Thirsty for Living Water--Aug. 31, 2012



We cry out to you in your presence,
O Lord God of our salvation;
incline your ear to us.

Job asked a reasonable question:
How can I, a mere mortal
be just before you?

Jesus gave a remarkable answer:
Let the thirsty come to me,
let the believers drink.

We come to drink your living water--
by no means just, but thirsty--
let your Spirit fall on us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20
Job 9:1-15; 32-35
Acts 10:34-48
John 7:37-52

Selected Verses

Ps. 88:1-2
O LORD, God of my salvation,
      when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
      incline your ear to my cry.

Job 9:1-2
Then Job answered: "Indeed I know that this is so; but how can a mortal be just before God? …"

Acts 10:46b-47

Then Peter said, "Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these [Gentiles] who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"

John 7:37-38a
On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink. …"

No comments:

Post a Comment