I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Your Kingdom, Already Here--Nov. 22, 2012


[From Nov. 23, 2006 Archive]

You have created us, we are your children.
How wrong to be faithless to one another,
to mistreat the poor who do our labor--
for the cries of the harvesters reach your ears.

Teach us to do your will--you are our God.
Let your Spirit lead us on a level path,
lest we search all around us but miss
the signs of your kingdom already here.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 143; 147:12-20; 81; 116

Malachi 2:1-16
James 4:13-5:6
Luke 17:20-37

Selected Verses

Ps. 143:10
Teach me to do your will,
            for you are my God.
Let your good spirit lead me
            on a level path.

Mal. 2:10
Have we not all one father?  Has not one God created us?  Why then are we faithless to one another, profaning the covenant of our ancestors?

James 5:4
Listen!  The wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.

Luke 17:20-21
Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’  For in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment