I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

As You Called Lazarus out of the Tomb--Feb. 28, 2014


We call to you, Lord Jesus; we spread out our hands to you;
and as you called Lazarus out of the tomb, you call to us;
in understanding you call us back from our dead ways;
but in your wisdom you do not force us to respond.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20
Prov. 8:1-21
Philemon 1-25
John 12:9-19

Selected Verses

Ps. 88:9b-c
 Every day I call on you, O LORD;
          I spread out my hands to you.

Prov. 8:1
Does not wisdom call, and does not understanding raise her voice?

Philemon 14
…but I preferred to do nothing without your consent, in order that your good deed might be voluntary and not something forced.

John 12:17
So the crowd that had been with [Jesus] when he called Lazarus out of the tomb and raised him from the dead continued to testify.

No comments:

Post a Comment