I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Jesus, We Have Seen Your Works--Sept. 6, 2015


We have seen your works, Lord Jesus;
we know that the Father is in you
and that you are in the Father.

Even though the wings of the morning
should take us to the farthermost sea,
your hand would be there to lead us,
and your right hand to hold us fast.

So wherever we find ourselves, make
us open to your leading and heedful
of your word, that we may listen to
you, not the dictates of the world.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139
1 Kings 12:21-33
Acts 4:18-31
John 10:31-42

Selected Verses
Ps. 139:9-10
If I take the wings of the morning
          and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
          and your right hand shall hold me fast. 

1 Kings 12:24
“Thus says the LORD, You shall not go up or fight against your kindred the people of Israel.  Let everyone go home, for this thing is from me.”  [Shemaiah, the man of God, speaking for God]  So they heeded the word of the LORD and went home again, according to the word of the LORD.

Acts 4:19
But Peter and John answered [the authorities], “Whether it is right in God’s sight to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge…"

John 10:37-38
"…If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me.  But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”  [Jesus to those who wanted to stone him]

No comments:

Post a Comment