I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Companions in Worship and Work--Sept. 7, 2015


King Jeroboam had neither knowledge nor understanding,
but walked in darkness, and his foundations were shaken.
The man of God refused to go with him or dine with him.

Whereas Mary Magdalene, the other Mary, and Salome
and many other women went everywhere with Jesus;
they followed him, ate with him, provided for him.

Paul, too, had loyal followers who shared in the
gospel with him from the first day onward.

Teach us to know the strength and
encouragement that comes
when we join others
in your worship
and work.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 145; 82; 29
1 Kings 13:1-10
Phil. 1:1-11
Mark 15:40-47

Selected Verses
Ps. 82:5
[Members of the divine council] have neither knowledge nor understanding,
          they walk around in darkness;
          all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

1 Kings 13:8
But the man of God said to the king [Jeroboam], “If you give me half your kingdom, I will not go in with you; nor will I eat food or drink water in this place.  …"

Phil. 1:3-5
I thank my God every time I remember you [the saints in Philippi], constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now. 

Mark 15:41                
[Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joses, and Salome] used to follow [Jesus] and provided for him when he was in Galilee; and there were many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment