I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

March On, My Soul--July 30, 2022

[From Aug. 2, 2008 archive]

 

March on, my soul, with might.

 

March on to the new Jerusalem,

where the tribes of the Lord go up,

to give thanks to the name of the Lord.

 

March on, and let the torrent sweep away

every enemy, every temptation or sin

that would get in the way of the journey.

 

March on to follow Jesus of Nazareth,

whose deeds of power, wonders, and signs

attest to the authority by which he calls.

 

March on to the mountain in Galilee,

where the risen Jesus charged his disciples

to remember that he is with them always.

 

March on, my soul, with might.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63

Judg. 5:19-31

Acts 2:22-36

Matt. 28:11-20

 

Selected Verses 

Ps.122:4

To [Jerusalem] the tribes go up,

            the tribes of the LORD,

as was decreed for Israel,

            to give thanks to the name of the LORD.

 

Judg. 5:21

The torrent Kishon swept them away,

            the onrushing torrent, the torrent Kishon.

            March on, my soul, with might!

 

Acts 2:22

“…You that are Israelites, listen to what I have to say: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know…”  [Peter addressing the crowd on Pentecost]

 

Matt. 28:20b

“…And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”  [The risen Jesus, to his eleven disciples]


No comments:

Post a Comment