I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When Our Soul Is Full of Troubles--July 29, 2022

[From July 30, 2010 archive;

adapted from my journal of July 30, 2004]

 

When our soul is full of troubles

and our life draws near to Sheol,

recall to us your promises

and your saving acts;

 

then take away our fear,

that willingly we may

offer ourselves to you

and bless your name.

 

Pour out your Spirit upon us;

remind us we are not too old

to dream dreams, any more than

we are too young to see visions.

 

Forbid that we should look

for the living among the dead;

and teach us to worship you,

O Christ, our risen Lord.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20

Judg. 5:1-18

Acts 2:1-21

Matt. 28:1-10

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 88:3

For my soul is full of troubles, 

            and my life draws near to Sheol.

 

Judg. 5:2

“When locks are long in Israel,

            when the people offer themselves willingly—

            bless the LORD!  …  ”  [The Song of Deborah and Barak]

 

Acts 2:17

“…‘In the last days it will be, God declares,

that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,

                        and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,

and your young men shall see visions,

                        and your old men shall dream dreams.  …  ’ ”  

[Peter, quoting Joel]

 

Matt. 28:5-6

But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.  He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said.  Come, see the place where he lay.  …  ”


No comments:

Post a Comment