I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

What Men May Be Overdue in Praying--July 28, 2022

[From Aug. 2, 2018 archive]

 

Hear our prayer, O God.

You know everyone's heart;

in your faithfulness, listen to us;

in your righteousness, answer us,

even if your answer is neither what 

we expect nor what we desire to hear, 

and even if the glory is to another,

even if that other is a woman, 

for women were faithful  

followers of Jesus.

 

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 143; 147:12-20; 81; 116

Judg. 4:4-23

Acts 1:15-26

Matt. 27:55-66

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 143:1

Hear my prayer, O LORD; 
          give ear to my supplications in your faithfulness; 
          answer me in your righteousness. 

 

Judges 4:8-9a

Barak said to [Deborah], “If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go.”  And she said, “I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the LORD will sell Sisera into the hand of a woman.” 

 

Acts 1:24-25

Then [the believers] prayed and said, “Lord, you know everyone's heart.  Show us which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

 

Matt. 27:55, 59-61

Many women were also there [at the crucifixion], looking on from a distance; they had followed Jesus from Galilee and had provided for him.  … So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock.  He then rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb and went away.  Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were there, sitting opposite the tomb.


No comments:

Post a Comment