I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Prayer for the Perishing--Aug. 7, 2022

[From Aug. 9, 2020 archive]

 

God, you know how we were made;

you know how we neglect you

until we are in trouble,

then run to you.

 

Jesus, you became weak

to join the weak in suffering;

you defended those who stumbled,

and Jesus, you cared for the perishing.

 

Now the whole world is in trouble,

most of all, the poor and weak

are perishing of pandemic,

starvation, and war. 

 

God have mercy, 

Christ have mercy, 

on all who suffer

and die.

 

Lectionary Readings                                                          

Ps. 103; 150; 117; 139

Judg. 11:1-11, 29-40

2 Cor. 11:21b-31

Mark 4:35-41

 

 

Selected Verses

Ps. 103:14

For [the LORD] knows how we were made;
          he remembers that we are dust.

 

Judg. 11:7

But Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, “Are you not the very ones who rejected me and drove me out of my father's house?  So why do you come to me now when you are in trouble?”

 

2 Cor. 11:29

Who is weak, and I am not weak?  Who is made to stumble, and I am not indignant? 

 

Mark 4:37-38

A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped.  But [Jesus] was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?”


No comments:

Post a Comment