I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Earthly Things, Heavenly Things--Aug. 8, 2022

[From Aug. 13, 2012 archive]

 

How can we understand heavenly things 

if we do not share your concern for earthly things?

 

Give us courage to take our lives in our hands, and

open the doors of our self-made prisons--free us 

to give justice to the weak and the orphan, 

to maintain the right of the lowly and 

destitute, and to rescue the needy 

from the hand of the wicked.

 

Lectionary Readings                                                          

Ps. 5; 145; 82; 29

Judg. 12:1-7

Acts 5:12-26

John 3:1-21

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 82:3-4

“… Give justice to the weak and the orphan; 
          maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.   

Rescue the weak and the needy; 
          deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

                        [God, to the divine council]

 

Judg. 12:3

“…When I saw that you would not deliver me, I took my life in my hand, and crossed over against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave them into my hand.  …”  [Jephthah to the men of Ephraim]

 

Acts 5:19-20

But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors, brought [the apostles] out, and said, “Go, stand in the temple and tell the people the whole message about this life.”

 

John 3:12

“…If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you about heavenly things?  …”  [Jesus, to Nicodemus]


No comments:

Post a Comment