I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Our Soul Longs for You--Aug. 9, 2022

[From Aug. 15, 2006 archive]

 

Our soul longs for you, O God;

as a deer longs for flowing streams,

so our soul longs for you.

 

We are of the earth, 

our thoughts are of the earth;

we belong to the earth 

and speak about earthly things.

Tell us of heavenly things.

 

We do not ask where you come from;

we do not inquire as to your name,

but we would listen to your words.

 

And if we do not like what we hear from you,

grant us grace  not to fight against it,

for no one can overthrow your will.

 

Lectionary Readings                                                          

Ps. 42; 146; 102; 133

Judg. 13:1-15

Acts 5:27-42

John 3:22-36

 

Selected Verses 

Ps. 42:1

As a deer longs for flowing streams,

            so my soul longs for you, O God.

 

Judg.13:6-7a

Then the [wife of Manoah] came and told her husband, “A man of God came to me, and his appearance was like that of an angel of God, most awe-inspiring; I did not ask him where he came from, and he did not tell me his name, but he said to me, ‘You shall conceive and bear a son. …’ …”

 

Acts 5:39

“…but if [this plan] is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them—in that case you may even be found fighting against God!”  [Gamaliel, to the council]

 

John 3:31

The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks about earthly things.  The one who comes from heaven is above all.


No comments:

Post a Comment